Software Development Manager
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Software Development (SWD) Manager in our Information Technology department, based out of our Edmonton office. Reporting to our Director, Digital, the SWD Manager leads a dynamic team of IT professionals and IT projects as well as assesses development tools and processes. More specifically
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the IS software development team and IT projects
- Provide leadership, direction, mentorship and training to the Software Development team, ensuring the equitable distribution of workload
- Manage corporate software development projects, monitoring progress to ensure deadlines are met and stakeholders are kept informed
- Ensure security and optimum performance of systems and applications
- Assess development tools and processes; introduce and utilize development environments and tools
- Architect databases and software systems
- Oversee the development of new and secure client/server and windows based applications
- Support existing applications and programming changes
- Develop a departmental culture of continuous improvement, customer service excellence, and a results oriented team
- Provide technical expertise and recommendations in assessing new IT software projects and initiatives to support and enhance current systems
- Identify opportunities that can improve efficiency of business processes
- Ensure that regulatory compliance requirements are met
- Provide assistance and advice to business users in the effective use of applications and information technology
- Manage the writing and/or maintenance of technical procedures and documentation for in-house developed software systems including design, functional specifications, etc.
- Participate in monthly meetings with the IT department to discuss progress and issues to be resolved, and report progress as necessary to management
- Responsible for managing team workloads as well as all aspects of managing a team of direct reports.
- Other duties as required
Prior experience and qualifications of interest include:
- B.Sc in Computing Science or equivalent
- 15+ years of software development, database, and management experience
- Previous experience managing a team
- Experience in Guidewire development (All centers) and certifications is a strong asset
- Experience in designing REST based APIs
- Experience with client-side frameworks like React or Angular
- Solid background in database design using Microsoft SQL Server
- Background in Microsoft Team Foundation, .NET, C#, Visual Basic, ASPX, HTML, VB Script, JQuery, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities
- Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A results oriented individual who thrives working in a fast paced environment
- Knowledge of accounting and/or P&C insurance an asset
- Instill an atmosphere of continuous improvement and customer service with the development team
Working at Peace Hills
Peace Hills understands that by reducing work-life struggles, individuals can enjoy a healthier lifestyle while improving productivity at work. Ensuring an appropriate work/life balance and a collegial and supportive work environment are just a couple of ways we do this.
If you are interested in this great opportunity to build a career, submit your resume to Peace Hills Insurance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted.
Application Deadline: December 01, 2023