Most Home or Condo insurance policies do not cover your household equipment or systems when they break down. As technology advances, these systems become more sensitive and are prone to accidental breakdown. They can be very costly to repair or replace.
What's considered "Home Equipment"?
- Boilers, Furnaces and Heat Pumps
- Central Air Conditioning Systems;
- Computers, Peripherals and Wireless Devices ;
- Electrical Service Panels
- Home Entertainment Equipment
- Home Security Monitoring and Control Devices
- Kitchen and Laundry Appliances
- Mobile Medical Equipment
- Pool and Spa Pumps, Heating and Filtration
- Portable Generators and Sump Pumps
- Radiant Floor Heating
- Vacuum Systems (built-in)
Under our Home Equipment Breakdown Coverage, we automatically include coverage for the most typical expenses up to the limit specified in your policy. These automatic extensions of coverage include the following:
- Loss of Use - Payment for lodging should your home be made uninhabitable because of damage to the insured equipment
- Expediting Expenses - Payment for cost of temporary repairs and the cost to expedite permanent repairs or permanent replacement
- Spoilage Coverage - Payment for cost of replacing frozen or refrigerated foods that have spoiled because of the breakdown of your refrigerator or freezer
- Pollutant Clean Up and Removal - Payment for expenses incurred as a result of a breakdown of insured equipment
If equipment needs to be replaced, we will pay up to 150% of the original cost to replace it with an equivalent product that is more environmentally friendly, energy/water efficient, or safer to use.
Coverage is subject to exclusions and a deductible.
Examples of Losses
- The electronic control panel in a clothes dryer broke down. The same model is no longer being manufactured and neither are replacement parts. A similar dryer is retailing at a price 30% higher than the original dryer and is advertised as being more energy efficient.
- An older home freezer broke down while the homeowners were away on summer vacation. All the food in the freezer was spoiled, and the smell absorbed by the plastic liner of the freezer could not be removed.
- A power surge occurred, causing damage to a home computer system which also controlled the lighting, temperature control and sprinkler systems for the home. The computer needed to be replaced, and the programming reinstalled.
View our Home Equipment Breakdown Brochure